@Michelle Yes, this has also been my experience with academic conferences! for those I think my rules are 1) find journalists and other people who can hold a conversation 2) never say no to going out after 3) someone taught me the 1,1,5 rule: every day, get 1 good meal, 1 shower, and 5 hours of sleep. These are negotiable though!
@Mike Dang Since this is a site about money, perhaps the jobs should have to offer that instead of "experience"?
@redheaded&crazy When I lived in NYC, I only knew like two people originally from New York State who lived there. I live in Boston now - plenty of people here grew up in the suburbs of Boston/farther out in the state, but still, the majority of people are not from around here, because there are so many big schools.
If you get the foot modeling gig, make sure a friend knows where you're going and when you should be back, because that has a 50% chance of being a dude who wants to masturbate on your feet and a 25% chance of being a dude who wants to masturbate with your feet after they've been removed from your body. Which leaves 25% for "money for having cute feet!"
Here is a question: Billfold readers, how do you feel about working a well-paying job while still living at home? Paying rent, yes, but also trying to pay off insane student loans due to dumb financial decisions (or due to going to a public university out of state without having any money for it)? This isn't my circumstance, but I keep thinking about it - like, if this were five years ago the response would probably be FAILURE TO LAUCH Y'ALL. But as long as the family dynamic is a healthy one and there are rules r/e division of labor, is this generally acceptable in American society?
@redheaded&crazy Curl Up and Dye is a Blues Brothers reference! It's the name of Carrie Fisher's salon where she sits and paints her nails while reading the manual for a rocket launcher. And, for no real reason (WHY WOULD I NEED A REASON) here is a link to the scene with James Brown where John Belushi does backflips down the church aisle.