On How Much Money You Need To Realistically Recreate The Scrooge McDuck 'Gold Coin Swim'

Great article. Just ignore the pendants. However, one cubic inch of gold weighs 10.1788 oz Troy, not one ounce. Gold in 1947 was about $38 oz Troy. The optimum packing fraction for coins is about .9 (90% of a space will be occupied by coins, the remaining 10% by air, there's no way around it) so you have to multiply the volume of the hill by .9 to find the volume occupied by coins.

Posted on April 27, 2012 at 7:54 pm 0