FROM: R TO: LOGAN SUBJECT: HELP
This past Friday, I was offered a six-month contract position working for employer X. The conversation started out with: “Are you interested in this being part-time or full-time?” meaning they were flexible on the hours that could be worked, and I said that I’m interested in full-time only so long as it has the possibility of leading to a full-time, salaried job. There will be two full-time, salaried jobs opening up in 3-5 months, which she made a point to mention, though she also said of course that she obviously can’t guarantee that I’d get it. So we talked about it, and the hiring manager said she would draft a contract and send it my way early this week, like today or tomorrow. She sounded excited about it. And I should probably also mention that they are voluntarily paying me a little bit more than the rate I asked for (actual amount unclear until I see the contract). So I kind of verbally said yes, but did not say “I accept” or sign anything, as I haven’t seen the contract yet.
THEN: This morning I found out I am have a final interview for a full-time, salaried position with employer Y that I would very much want. The interview is tomorrow, but I suspect they wouldn’t be able to let me know their final decision until next week, or possibly Dec 1. I plan to let them know that I have another offer and hopefully ask them if they might be able to let me know by next week (right? this gives me anxiety about pressuring them, but I kind of have to).
WHAT SHOULD I TELL EMPLOYER X??? I have to tell them about this situation, right?